Do you have chronic pain and regularly take opioid medications? Participate in the Living in Full Even with Pain Study with the University of Washington and get free, evidence-based treatment for pain. We are recruiting from across the entire United States.
Chronic pain is a significant problem affecting millions of Americans. Different types of treatment such as mindfulness meditation, cognitive therapy, and activation skills have been used to treat chronic pain in the general population with success, but little is known as to how these treatments work. The purpose of this study is to compare how these treatments work and see why these treatments are effective. In addition, we are interested in learning whether these treatments allow people to become less reliant on pain medications. This study will use videoconferencing, survey, and activity monitoring technologies.
WHAT DOES PARTICIPATION LOOK LIKE?
- Attending videoconferencing group treatment sessions that last about 90 minutes each, on average twice per week for approximately 4 weeks (8 sessions total);
- Wearing an activity monitor (similar to a wrist watch) daily for approximately 10 weeks;
- Twice daily online surveys for approximately 10 weeks;
- Weekly telephone assessments for approximately 10 weeks; and
- Four interviews before and after treatment (two via telephone and two online versions).
IMPORTANT: All study procedures are done remotely, from your own home, over the phone or Internet. There are NO in-person procedures. All three treatments are evidence-based and have been shown to benefit those with chronic pain.
Participation in the study will last approximately 8-9 months, with the majority of procedures to occur in the first 3-4 months. Compensation for completion of the phone assessments and online surveys, and the return of the activity monitor, will be provided.
Three-group parallel design, randomized controlled clinical trial.
Who is eligible to take part?
You may be eligible to participate if you:
- Are 18 years of age or older;
- Experience moderate to severe chronic pain on a regular basis;
- Are currently taking OPIOID medications on a regular basis;
- Are able to read, speak, and understand English; and
- Have access to the Internet and a device with a webcam and microphone.
Other eligibility criteria apply. Please contact our study (info below) for more information. All interested participants will need to complete a phone screening to determine eligibility for this study.
Phone: 206-221-7224 or toll-free 1-800-570-5576
IRB approval: #STUDY00006474
Take Part Now!